Thursday 13 September 2012

Flattery and Fakeness in Friendships

I don't like Facebook.

Now before you run away thinking oh great, ANOTHER Facebook rant, hold your horses.
Facebook is simply one tool that I believe has enhanced a what I like to call:

'Suck-up-ery-ness'
In other words, flattery and fakeness.

I love a compliment as much as the next girl, but sometimes the suck-up-ery-ness in the world of friendships, and especially fb makes me sick.  This form of flattery is all about what they can get out of it, not whether it's true or they mean it. Facebook in particular is rampant with flatterers and is breeding them at a concerning rate. (I know, for me, if I spend too long on there I can easily fall into the same trap). Sure it might make you feel good in the moment but they are going to turn around and say the same thing to every other girl.

These 'flatterers' can be very clever, aiming their flattery at our weaknesses or sensitive spots so that their comments feel really good. But there is always a question of intention and more often then not, the comments are not made for your benefit.

I'm a really honest person, sometimes too honest. But lots of people tell me they appreciate it. So if you can avoid becoming a flatterer, please do. There are already enough people in this world who are going to tell you that you look good when you don't. Compliment others when its true but tell the truth (as tactfully as you can) when you should.

Feel free to share your opinion below.


No comments:

Post a Comment